- A FEW WORDS ABOUT ART METRANO, THEN THREE CHORUSES OF BEAUTY: JAMES DAPOGNY at the PIANO (Cleveland Classic Jazz Party, Sept. 16, 2016)
- DAN MORGENSTERN RECALLS SLIM GAILLARD, LEO WATSON, and RED McKENZIE (March 22, 2019)
- MUSIC TO OUR HEARTS: HETTY KATE’S “UNDER PARIS SKIES”
- “HE HAD TIME AND HE HAD TONE”: HANK O’NEAL CELEBRATES MAX KAMINSKY (August 17, 2019)
- FIVE BY FIVE (Part One): JOE PLOWMAN and his PHILADELPHIANS at the 1867 SANCTUARY: JOE PLOWMAN, DANNY TOBIAS, JOE McDONOUGH, SILAS IRVINE, DAVE SANDERS (February 8, 2020)
- HONORING PRES and LADY DAY: SCOTT ROBINSON, JON-ERIK KELLSO, JOE COHN, MURRAY WALL at CAFE BOHEMIA (January 30, 2020)
- THE GLORIES OF WALTER DONALDSON: JONATHAN DOYLE – JACOB ZIMMERMAN SEXTET at the REDWOOD COAST MUSIC FESTIVAL: KRIS TOKARSKI, KATIE CAVERA, CHARLIE HALLORAN, HAL SMITH, BRANDON AU (May 12, 2019)
- A MUSICAL LANDSCAPE: MARCH 13, 1951
- JUST ADD ADULTHOOD AND STIR: BARBARA ROSENE and JON DAVIS at MEZZROW (December 8, 2019)
- THE EBULLIENT MISTER DROOTIN and FRIENDS: WILD BILL DAVISON, BILL ALLRED, CHUCK HEDGES, BOB PILLSBURY, JACK LESBERG, CAROL LEIGH, BUZZY DROOTIN (Malmö, Sweden, 1984).
- MORE BEAUTY, PLEASE: DANNY TOBIAS, PAT MERCURI, CHRIS BUZZELLI at the 1867 Sanctuary (Ewing, New Jersey: January 4, 2020)
- “I’M WISE TO ALL THOSE TRICKS YOU PLAYED ON ME”: LUCY YEGHIAZARYAN SINGS AT MEZZROW (Stefan Vasnier, Vincent Dupont, Greg Ruggiero: January 28, 2020)
- ORIGINALITY, WITH FEELING: ANGELA VERBRUGGE’S SPLENDID IMAGINATIONS
- THE ART OF THE RHYTHM BALLAD: MARTY GROSZ, DAN BARRETT, ROSSANO SPORTIELLO, HOWARD ALDEN, DAN BLOCK, KERRY LEWIS, PETE SIERS (Jazz at Chautauqua, September 21, 2012)
- HEATING THE PEAKS: WOLVERINE JAZZ BAND at the EVERGREEN JAZZ FESTIVAL: JOHN CLARK, JEFF HUGHES, TOM BOATES, BOB BARTA, ROSS PETOT, RICK MacWILLIAMS, DAVE DIDRIKSEN (July 27, 2019)
- NEXT STOP, HEAVEN: MARA KAYE, JON-ERIK KELLSO, EVAN ARNTZEN, JARED ENGEL (Cafe Bohemia, October 24, 2019)
- "I HAVE A ROMANTIC SIDE": LUCY YEGHIAZARYAN SINGS OF PASSION (STEFAN VASNIER, VINCE DUPONT, GREG RUGGIERO, Mezzrow, January 28, 2020)
- MELLOW TONES: DANNY TOBIAS, PAT MERCURI, CHRIS BUZZELLI (1867 Sanctuary, January 4, 2020)
- BRAGGIN’ IN BRASS: JON-ERIK KELLSO, SCOTT ROBINSON, JOE COHN, MURRAY WALL (Cafe Bohemia, January 30, 2020)
- HARROW, TURGENEV, POMERANTZ: "ABOUT LOVE"
SUBSCRIBE TO “JAZZ LIVES” BY E-MAILSUBSCRIBE TO "JAZZ LIVES" BY E-MAIL Subscribe to Jazz Lives by Email
- Delicious food, delicious food. Nice atmosphere, too. 1 month ago
- jazzlives.wordpress.com/2020/01/23/whe… jazzlives.wordpress.com/2020/01/23/whe… 1 month ago
- Does anyone have personnel listings for this session? Lord does not -- perhaps thinking it not worthy of notice?… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 month ago
- jazzlives.wordpress.com/2020/01/21/mus… jazzlives.wordpress.com/2020/01/21/mus… 1 month ago
- jazzlives.wordpress.com/2020/01/20/we-… jazzlives.wordpress.com/2020/01/20/we-… 1 month ago
SUBSCRIBE TO “JAZZ LIVES” BY EMAILSUBSCRIBE TO "JAZZ LIVES" BY E-MAIL Subscribe to Jazz Lives by Email
Daily Archives: April 18, 2009
“You’ll never guess who.”
It’s much too early for Santa, and it’s not Emily Brown from “Miss Brown to You,” but someone real — the wonderful singer Dawn Lambeth, making another rare visit to this coast. Dawn and her husband Marc Caparone (a brilliant trumpeter) make their home in California, and work most often with their own Usonia Jazz Band or with the Reynolds Brothers Rhythm Rascals. So it’s a delight to have Dawn back again for a flying tri-state visit, singing with her friends, the Boilermaker Jazz Band. Details below:
Wednesday April 22nd, 8 PM, Newark Museum Centennial
49 Washington St., Newark, New Jersey
This is a dance party, celebrating the museum’s hendredth anniversary, so be ready to cut a rug. More info at www.newarkmuseum.org.
Friday April 24th, 9 PM, High Street Ballroom
310 East High St., Pottstown, Pennsylvania
8 pm: Dance Lesson. 9 PM: Boilermaker Jazz Band plays for dancing! This cozy ballroom is just a short drive from Phiadelphia. More info at www.swingkat.com.
Saturday April 25th, 8 PM, Wesleyan University
Beckham Hall, 45 Wyllys Ave., Middletown, Connecticut
7 PM: Dance Lesson. 8-11 PM, Boilermaker Jazz Band plays for dancing. Their first time in the Hartford area- make them feel welcome! More info at www.vinniesjumpandjive.com.
Sunday April 26th, 8 PM, New York Swing Dance Society
St. Jean’s Church, 76th and Lexington, New York City
If Dawn’s lovely singing is new to you, check out her CDs — MIDNIGHT BLUE and LET’S GET LOST. She has a warm, comfortable way with a melody, delivering it lightly and conversationally in the manner of Maxine Sullivan, and she can improvise without thrusting herself into the limelight. Even better, she knows what the lyrics mean. Her recordings and live performances are happy evocations of the small-group swing records of the Thirties and Forties, and she sounds like herself — no tortured meowing in the style of Billie. Don’t miss her!
(I heard a rumor that Dawn will pay a visit to Sofia’s Restaurant this Monday to hear Vince Giordano and the Nighthawks. Who knows what could happen? We can only imagine. . . . . )