People are known not only for what they accomplish while alive, but the quality of the memories and love they evoke in death. Clarinetist / reedman / singer / composer / writer / raconteur Joseph P. Muranyi — Joe or Papa Joe to everyone — was a sterling person even without making a note of music. The tributes he received at his May 29, 2012 memorial service at St. Peter’s Church in New York City prove that as strongly as any phrase he played alongside Louis Armstrong, Roy Eldridge, Marty Grosz, Dick Sudhalter, Dick Wellstood, or many other musicians here and abroad. Aside from one brief musical passage (most of an ensemble version of OLE MISS) that I missed due to the camera’s whimsical battery, here is the entire service: words, video, audio, and live music. We honor Joe Muranyi! And for the sake of accuracy. Later in the program — one of its high points, to me — Scott Robinson played an unaccompanied tarogato solo (on one of Joe’s instruments) of a Hungarian folk song, “Krasznahorka büszke vára” which translates as “The Proud Castle of Krasznahorka.” In the next segments, you will hear and see the live and recorded presence of Joe himself, alongside Louis Armstrong, Tyree Glenn, Marty Napoleon, Buddy Catlett, and Danny Barcelona. You’ll hear tales of Roy Eldridge and Charlie Shavers, listen to words and music from Tamas Itzes, Mike Burgevin, Scott Robinson, Chuck Folds, Brian Nalepka, Jackie Williams, Simon Wettenhall, Jordan Sandke, Herb Fryer, Tom Artin, Jim Fryer, Dan Block, Dan Levinson, Ricky Riccardi, Dan Morgenstern, Michael Cogswell, Fred Newman, Bob Goldstein, James Chirillo, Jack Bradley, and others. Here is what I witnessed. But two hours is too small a room for Joe Muranyi, so this is simply one kind of tribute. We will remember him always. May your happiness increase.
Join 4,120 other followers
- MUSIC FROM PARIS: ALIX COMBELLE, BILL COLEMAN, FRANK “BIG BOY” GOUDIE, OSCAR ALEMAN and FRIENDS (January 12, 1938)
- ANDY SENIOR, POET
- STILL MORE NEW YORK NOTES: KENNY DAVERN, JIMMY ANDREWS, MIKE BURGEVIN, PART TWO (Brew’s, July 11, 1974)
- MORE NEW YORK NOTES: KENNY DAVERN, JIMMY ANDREWS, MIKE BURGEVIN, PART ONE (Brew’s, July 11, 1974)
- LOVE-NOTES FROM MURRAY WALL, CONTINUED: JON-ERIK KELLSO, SCOTT ROBINSON, JOE COHN (Cafe Bohemia, January 30, 2020)
- MUSIC AND STORIES: JOE WILDER, MICHAEL WEISS, JOHN WEBBER, LEWIS NASH at the VILLAGE VANGUARD (July 19, 2006)
- JACK LOVED DANCE MUSIC (1933)
- THE CONCORD JAZZ ALL-STARS (Part One) at ANTIBES: MARSHAL ROYAL, SNOOKY YOUNG, ROSS TOMPKINS, HERB ELLIS, MICHAEL MOORE, JEFF HAMILTON, SCOTT HAMILTON, WARREN VACHE, RAY BROWN, JAKE HANNA (July 17, 1979)
- THE SOUNDS THEY SWUNG LAST SUMMER: The EarRegulars at The Ear Out: JON-ERIK KELLSO, MATT MUNISTERI, JAY RATTMAN, TAL RONEN, JOSH DUNN (June 6, 2021)
- “IT WAS WILD AND LOOSE AND FREE”: THE MICROSCOPIC SEPTET RETURNS TO NEW YORK (Part Two): THE JAZZ FORUM, July 17, 2022.
- “OH, MY HONEY”: GUILLERMO PERATA, RAMIRO PENOVI, FERNANDO MONTARDIT, DIEGO RODRIGUEZ . . . IN THE GROOVE
- MELODIC “MAINSTREAM”: RANDY REINHART, BOB HAVENS, DAN LEVINSON, KEITH INGHAM, FRANK TATE, RICKY MALICHI (Allegheny Jazz Party, September 19, 2014)
- MARTY GROSZ and FRIENDS HONOR FRANK TESCHEMACHER: DUKE HEITGER, DAN BARRETT, DAN BLOCK, SCOTT ROBINSON, JAMES DAPOGNY, VINCE GIORDANO, PETE SIERS (Jazz at Chautauqua, September 29, 2006)
- “HOT REEDS”: BILL NAPIER, TOM BAKER, LARRY STEIN, TOM KEATS, JIM CUMMING (1983)
- “IT WAS WILD AND LOOSE AND FREE”: THE MICROSCOPIC SEPTET RETURNS TO NEW YORK (Part One): THE JAZZ FORUM, July 17, 2022.
- WE’LL MISS MURRAY WALL (1945-2022)
- LARRY McKENNA INVITES US TO DREAM (SILAS IRVINE, JOE PLOWMAN, DAN MONAGHAN: Rowan University, Glassboro, New Jersey, May 22, 2022)
- IT’S ALLRED WITH US: The EarRegulars featuring BILL and JOHN ALLRED, JON-ERIK KELLSO, MATT MUNISTERI, PAT O’LEARY at The Ear Out, with an unscheduled cameo appearance by THE SIREN (October 17, 2021)
- FEAST YOUR EYES: THE REDWOOD COAST MUSIC FESTIVAL IS COMING (EVEN SOONER): SEPTEMBER 29 – OCTOBER 2, 2022.
- I’LL HEAR THIS IN MY DREAMS: DAN BARRETT, JON-ERIK KELLSO, SCOTT ROBINSON, BOB REITMEIER, ALEX HOFFMAN, ROSSANO SPORTIELLO, JON BURR, PETE SIERS (Jazz at Chautauqua, September 20, 2012)
SUBSCRIBE TO “JAZZ LIVES” BY E-MAILSUBSCRIBE TO "JAZZ LIVES" BY E-MAIL Subscribe to Jazz Lives by Email
- Delicious food, delicious food. Nice atmosphere, too. 2 years ago
- jazzlives.wordpress.com/2020/01/23/whe… jazzlives.wordpress.com/2020/01/23/whe… 2 years ago
- Does anyone have personnel listings for this session? Lord does not -- perhaps thinking it not worthy of notice?… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 years ago
- jazzlives.wordpress.com/2020/01/21/mus… jazzlives.wordpress.com/2020/01/21/mus… 2 years ago
- jazzlives.wordpress.com/2020/01/20/we-… jazzlives.wordpress.com/2020/01/20/we-… 2 years ago
SUBSCRIBE TO “JAZZ LIVES” BY EMAILSUBSCRIBE TO "JAZZ LIVES" BY E-MAIL Subscribe to Jazz Lives by Email
Join 4,120 other followers