People know Lorna Sass’s brilliant photographs of Sicilian wildflowers, Utah rock formations, blossoms in Central Park, and urban landscapes: gargoyles and animals leering from apartment buildings, fences and benches, the architecture we don’t always see. But how many people know her as a superb jazz photographer, someone who catches sound and emotion while they’re still fresh? Here are some portraits taken in the last few days. They resonate. And if you don’t know Lorna’s fauna and flora, visit www.lornasassatlarge.wordpress.com.
Join 4,128 other followers
- FAREWELL, HOT MAN
- PEARLS: DON EWELL, MARTY GROSZ, FRANK CHACE, BILL PRIESTLEY (Spring 1959); DON EWELL, SOLO (December 20, 1941)
- “IT WAS WILD AND LOOSE AND FREE”: THE MICROSCOPIC SEPTET RETURNS TO NEW YORK (Part Four): THE JAZZ FORUM, July 17, 2022.
- DICK AND DAVE DUET (September 1982)
- HOT AND READY! — HAL SMITH’S NEW ORLEANS NIGHT OWLS: “EARLY HOURS”
- MURRAY WALL, RESONANT (January 30, 2020)
- WHAT’S BLACK AND WHITE AND THRILLING?
- MEMORIES OF EUBIE, or THE MAN IN THE WHITE SUIT (1975, 1978)
- EUREKA! A LONG WEEKEND AMONG THE REDWOODS (September 29 – October 2, 2022)
- HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BENT PERSSON!
- “YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE”: CLIFF, VIC, MARIAN, RUBY, SAM, LOUIS (1940-73)
- SUNDAY-NIGHT LEVITATION: YANK LAWSON, BOB HAGGART, RALPH SUTTON, BUD FREEMAN, BOB WILBER, BILLY BUTTERFIELD, GUS JOHNSON, LOU McGARITY, CARL FONTANA (April 20, 1969, “The Ed Sullivan Show”)
- FOR BECHET and BUD: DANNY TOBIAS, CHRIS FLORY, SCOTT ROBINSON, PAT O’LEARY at The Ear Inn (July 31, 2022).
- KENNY BURRELL and FRIENDS: JIMMIE ROWLES, BUCKY PIZZARELLI, REGGIE JOHNSON, SHERMAN FERGUSON, DIZZY GILLESPIE (Nice Jazz Festival, July 8, 1978)
- UNLOCKING THE DOORS TO FIND THE PERSON HIDDEN WITHIN: “SNOOZER QUINN: FINGERSTYLE JAZZ GUITAR PIONEER,” by KATY HOBGOOD RAY and DAN SUMNER (Out of the Past Music, 2021)
- THE CONCORD JAZZ ALL-STARS (Part Two) at ANTIBES: SCOTT HAMILTON, WARREN VACHE, DAVE McKENNA, CAL COLLINS, MICHAEL MOORE, JAKE HANNA, MARSHAL ROYAL, SNOOKY YOUNG, ROSS TOMPKINS, RAY BROWN (July 17,1979)
- MURRAY WALL, AMONG FRIENDS, MAKING DEEP SOUNDS (JON-ERIK KELLSO, SCOTT ROBINSON, JOE COHN, Cafe Bohemia, January 30, 2020)
- “IT WAS WILD AND LOOSE AND FREE”: THE MICROSCOPIC SEPTET RETURNS TO NEW YORK (Part Three): THE JAZZ FORUM, July 17, 2022.
- “BLUE MOON”: DANNY TOBIAS, CHRIS FLORY, SCOTT ROBINSON, PAT O’LEARY at The Ear Inn (July 31, 2022).
- OUR MAN BUTCH (1943-2022)
SUBSCRIBE TO “JAZZ LIVES” BY E-MAILSUBSCRIBE TO "JAZZ LIVES" BY E-MAIL Subscribe to Jazz Lives by Email
- Delicious food, delicious food. Nice atmosphere, too. 2 years ago
- jazzlives.wordpress.com/2020/01/23/whe… jazzlives.wordpress.com/2020/01/23/whe… 2 years ago
- Does anyone have personnel listings for this session? Lord does not -- perhaps thinking it not worthy of notice?… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 years ago
- jazzlives.wordpress.com/2020/01/21/mus… jazzlives.wordpress.com/2020/01/21/mus… 2 years ago
- jazzlives.wordpress.com/2020/01/20/we-… jazzlives.wordpress.com/2020/01/20/we-… 2 years ago
SUBSCRIBE TO “JAZZ LIVES” BY EMAILSUBSCRIBE TO "JAZZ LIVES" BY E-MAIL Subscribe to Jazz Lives by Email
Join 4,128 other followers